Remove scars from face
A scar refers to the tissue growth that marks the site where a wound has healed.
Do you know what is often regarded worse than the pain from an injury? It is the scar that is left behind. This is especially bothersome when the scar is on the face. A scar refers to the tissue growth that marks the site where a wound has healed. A scar may occur due to various reasons, such as an infection, injury, surgery, acne, skin rashes as in chickenpox, and some other kinds of inflammation. A scar is a sign that your body used its repair mechanism against any breach in your skin or deeper tissues. A scar is generally painless, but at times, it may pain or itch. The management of a scar varies depending on the cause, type, and severity of the scar. A scar on the face may be of any of the following types:
- Hypertrophic scar: These scars are raised above the surface of the skin but do not spread beyond the area where the injury has occurred. They may be treated with steroid injections or laser surgery.
- Keloid scar: A keloid scar is like a hypertrophic scar that is raised because of excessive tissue growth but it spreads beyond the site of injury. These scars are more common in people with darker skin. Treatment depends on the severity and may include pressure treatment, steroid injections, radiation, and cryotherapy.
- Contracture: A contracture scar may be quite crippling because it causes tightness of the skin (contracture), affecting the ability to move. They generally occur after a burn injury.
- Acne scar: Pimples caused due to acne may leave scars that may be shallow or deep. The treatment varies depending on the severity of the scar.
Since scar treatment varies depending on various factors, you must consult your dermatologist to know the best course of management for the scar. Though there are various home remedies available for the treatment of a scar, you must ask your doctor to know which ones you can try.
Some of the home remedies that you may try for managing the scars on your face include:
- Aloe vera gel: It is known for its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Take some pure aloe vera gel and apply it gently over your face. Leave it for about 30 minutes and wash your face. You may also add two to three drops of tea tree oil to the gel and apply it in the same way.
- Coconut oil: It moisturizes and heals your skin. Take around 3-5 g of extra-virgin coconut oil and massage it over your scar. You may leave it as long as you wish.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV): It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, and therefore, it is excellent for managing acne. Mix one part of ACV with an equal amount of water. Apply it to your face with the help of a cotton ball. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash your face.
- Potato juice: It is rich in antioxidants and is great for managing scars and dark spots. Grate some potato into a muslin cloth and squeeze to get its juice in a bowl. Apply this juice on your face and wash after 15-20 minutes. One may also use a thin slice of potato and keep it on the face where scars are present.
- Raw honey and milk mask: Take a teaspoon of raw milk and add a teaspoon of raw honey to it. Mix to make a paste and apply it to your face. Wash after 30 minutes. It is great for keeping your skin clear and supple.
- Honey and lemon juice mask: Add a teaspoonful of lemon juice to an equal amount of raw honey and apply it on your face. Wash after 30 minutes.
- Over the counter (OTC) medications: If your scar is itchy, you may apply OTC antihistamines to prevent scratching the scar. OTC steroid creams may help get rid of scar marks. Silicone gel may be applied over the scars for faster healing and reducing scar marks.
If the scars are deeper, a licensed dermatologist may use lasers, chemical peels, dermabrasion techniques, micro-needling, punch excision, or fillers to make them less noticeable. Seeking a consultation can help in the professional management of the scar.
Medically Reviewed on 12/31/2020
Johnson A. 12 Natural Remedies to Get Rid Of Acne Scars Fast. Lifehack. https://www.lifehack.org/383595/12-natural-remedies-to-get-rid-of-acne-scars-fast
Stanford Health Care. Different Types of Scars and Treatments. https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-treatments/s/scar-revision-surgery/procedures.html